Saturday, December 24, 2011

Tis' the Season... Help a Teacher???

I just don’t understand rich people!  They say that they want their money protected from taxes, but without those taxes, I think our schools would be in much worse shape.  I am not a political person, so I don’t want to start a debate (or perhaps academic dialogue would be beneficial) however, the general premise that they should not have to hold to a general standard regarding taxes while the rest of us have to struggle in that area strikes me as very unfair. 
Forgive me… I digress…  The point I am trying to make is why are there no donors to simply come into a low-performing school, ask how many teachers there are and have them create a list of things they feel they need, then just purchase it for them, no strings attached.  Perhaps such things have happened, but I have not been made aware of them as many of us were with a recent newsworthy story.
As many probably did, I heard the story of the Walmart Secret Santa who went into a store and purchased all of those unpaid layaways so that parents could have those toys for their kids well before Christmas.  I was just left wondering what in the world could have prompted such an act of genuine kindness during the Christmas or any other season!  Even if I wanted to do something like that, I would get so bogged down by the logistics of the whole thing.  Would the store manager allow me to find out that information?  Would someone think I was crazy?  Might I be considered a stalker?  
It turns out that this Secret Santa is no one person, but a group of individuals sparked to brighten the lives of children for Christmas.  Would that be impossible for a group of individuals to do for an underserved school? 
As teachers, some of us are struggling in silence.  I know that I have had my fair share of “technical difficulties” when it comes to finances: garnishments, mortgage problems, you name it.  Often, when a school has no supplies I know loads of good-hearted teachers that will take money out of their own pockets simply to supply their classrooms.  One of my teacher-friends used to consistently complain that she often felt that she had to take “food from [her] own child’s mouth” just to furnish her classroom. 
I'm a lot more on the cheap side.  I will take a lot of time making things instead of buying them.  At times, when I know my classroom is in need of something, I might ask parents to chip in with voluntary donations.  However, even this combination of parent/teacher resourcefulness reaches its height in very little time.
Again, I know not a whole lot about politics, so will be quite unarmed if this comes down to a debate, however… I do know that when all monies have been squandered and budget cuts need to be made, the first places government looks at are those places that need the most protection: the elderly, prisons, mental health, and, you guessed it! Education!!!  Why is this so?
I really don’t think we have time to worry so much about why anymore.  I work in a community where many students are on the verge of (and some are actually struggling with) poverty.  Yet and still, many of them come to school clean everyday and parents come willing to make donations of anything needed in the classroom. 
Yet the responsibility does not lie solely on me or on them.  An educated populace is the responsibility of us all.  Yes, our money HAS been squandered away… so what do we do about it now.  Where are our self-proclaimed Robin Hoods who take from themselves to give to the poor?   Where are our Secret Wal-mart Santas who show up, drop off a check with stipulations that the money is to be given to the teachers and the funds distributed as decided by the teachers? 
Just wondering... Happy Holidays to all!  I am really hoping that this will spark you to stop and think about what you can do to help an underserved school near you.  Happy Holidays to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment